Tim began conducting in his teens and went on to read Music and French at the University of Exeter. He studied violin with Mary Eade, composition with Joe Duddell and specialised in musical direction with Ian Mitchell.
Subsequent to his graduation with a double first-class degree, he has conducted a wide variety of vocal and instrumental ensembles. He particularly enjoys working with ensembles of varying degrees of experience and is a firm believer that classical music should be made as accessible as possible to both performers and the wider audience.
Tim is delighted to have been appointed as Chagford Singers’ Musical Director and is hugely excited for his debut performance with the group. In addition to the Chagford Singers, Tim is Musical Director of the Exeter University Symphony Orchestra, the Dartmouth Orchestra, the Dunsford Singers, orchestra+, the South West’s first LGBT symphony orchestra and the EX4 Chamber Orchestra, which he founded in August 2015. Tim was recently invited to guest conduct the Mid-Somerset Orchestra for the first half of its 2017-18 season.
Recent podium highlights have included performances of
- Puccini’s Messa di Gloria (Exeter University Symphony Orchestra and Choral Society)
- Schubert’s Mass in G (EX4 Orchestra and chorus)
- both of the Chopin piano concertos (Exeter University Symphony Orchestra and Mid Somerset Orchestra)
- Brahms’ 1st and 2nd Symphonies (Exeter University Symphony Orchestra and Mid Somerset Orchestra)
- Beethoven’s iconic 5th Symphony ((Exeter University Symphony Orchestra) In preparation for performance later this year are a joint performance of Rutter’s Requiem with the Dunsford Singers and Dartmouth Orchestra
- Beethoven’s 6th Symphony and Bruch’s 1st Violin Concerto with the Dartmouth Orchestra.
Photo Credit: Beatrice Wiles Photography